One of the most common questions I hear from home sellers is:
"How long does a real estate agent contract last?"
The short answer is that most listing agreements last anywhere from 3-6 months.
However, after more than 30 years as a Managing Broker serving Lemont, Frankfort, Palos Park, Homer Glen, New Lenox, Mokena, Orland Park, Lockport, Tinley Park and surrounding communities, I've learned that sellers are often asking the wrong question.
The better question is:
"Am I hiring the right agent, and am I comfortable with the terms of the agreement?"
Many sellers assume all real estate contracts are the same. In reality, contract lengths, cancellation policies, marketing commitments, communication standards, and service levels can vary significantly from one brokerage to another.
Just like any profession, there are outstanding agents, average agents, and agents who may not be the right fit for your situation. That's why it's important to understand exactly what you're signing before committing to any listing agreement.
How Long Does a Real Estate Listing Agreement Usually Last?
In most cases, listing agreements range from:
- 3 months
- 6 months
- Occasionally longer for unique properties
In my business, we typically use a 6-month listing agreement. However, every property and seller situation is different.
A six-month term gives enough time to properly prepare the property, launch a comprehensive marketing campaign, generate buyer interest, negotiate offers, and successfully navigate the transaction through closing.
That said, the length of the contract should never be the only factor a seller considers.
Why I Believe the Agent Matters More Than the Contract Length
Over the years, I've met sellers who were nervous about signing a six-month agreement because they were afraid of being "locked in."
I understand that concern.
The reality is that a contract should protect both parties, not trap either one.
My philosophy has always been simple: if my team and I are delivering the service, communication, and results we promised, sellers rarely have concerns about the length of the agreement.
In fact, if a client genuinely feels we're not the right fit, I don't believe in holding them hostage to a contract. Fortunately, that's rarely an issue because our focus is on earning trust every day rather than relying on paperwork to keep a client.
When a seller hires my team, we're making a substantial investment from day one. Between professional photography, drone photography, 3D tours, floor plans, online advertising, marketing campaigns, open house events and other promotional efforts, we often invest thousands of dollars before the home even reaches the market.
In other words, we're putting our own resources behind our belief that we can help sell the home successfully.

Comments